Mount Pleasant Volunteer Fire Department
(For emergencies, please call 911)
The Mount Pleasant Volunteer Fire Department was officially
charted in 1899, after it reorganized and joined with the Western
Pennsylvania Fireman's Association. Prior to 1899 it had been known by
After a particularly disastrous fire consumed the entire 800
block of Main Street, consisting of 12 buildings, the first fire company in
Mount Pleasant was formed on July 18th, 1876. It was named the "Centennial
Fire Company," and had a membership of 29 men.
Another name that appears in fire department records is
"Volunteer Hose and Hook and Ladder Company of Mount Pleasant." This name
was used until 1894.
The first time the name "Mount Pleasant Volunteer Fire
Department: appears is 1899. This is the reason 1999 had been chosen to
celebrate the Centennial Anniversary of the Department.
Other major historical events relating to the fire
In 1914 the constructions of the third ward hose house.
In 1915 the first piece of motorized equipment was
In 1935 the Mount Pleasant Fireman's band was organize,
which makes our band the oldest fireman's band in the state of
In 1938 a Gamewall fire alarm system was purchased and
installed. This system consisted of red boxes on utility poles that
would sound the alarm in the event of a fire. This replaced the system
of ringing the church bells to summon the firemen.
In 1938 the Ladies Auxiliary to the Fire Department was
In 1947 the First Aid Corps were formed and in 1949 a
truck was purchased to carry first aid equipment and transport injured
firefighters and citizens.
In 1948 Third Ward Fire Station was completed.
In 1969 Central Fire Station on Church Street was